An extensive review of the Troy-Bilt Mustang XP 50 zero turn radius (ZTR) mower in this article will help you in sifting through the endless number of zero turn mowers that are available.
| US-based manufacturer|
Efficient fuel consumption
Troy-Bilt is a reliable American manufacturer with a strong reputation. The product under review here is one of their top performing lawn mowers that can take care of lawns in a short period seamlessly with optimum comfort.
Built with advanced technology, this ZTR comes with tons of innovations like decrease in vibration, enhancement in the stability, and controls that are more convenient, thereby making this Z-turn mower a stunning asset to possess. The Mustang XP 50 is a machine that is built to last and is, therefore, dependable.
Design and Comfort
The Mustang XP 50 comes with a body finish that is multi-tone gray in color coupled with the manufacturer badges. The overall dark gray color on this lawn mower gives it the appearance of a no-nonsense machine, which it actually translates it into action when you turn on the engine.
This Z-turn mower has a dimension of 84(L) x 61(W) x 36(H) inches and weighs 780 pounds which are ideal for this type of mower.
The Mustang XP 50 has one of the best build qualities in its grade. The casters in the front wheel are attached to the front axle that has a boxed-in feature. The mower also features durable frames which are reinforced by heavy-duty components. These features make the lawn mower extremely sturdy and durable. Users can also grease the front casters for smooth performance.
This Z-turn mower features long-life belts that are highly durable. Metal belt pulleys which are superior in quality power these belts; metal belt pulleys are far more superior to plastic pulleys that are cheap and often break down. The wheels in this lawn mower are also durable.
The deck in this ZTR measures 50” and features reinforced steel fabricated with heavy-duty components that guarantee exceptional durability. The deck also has a built-in wash system that makes cleaning the blades and undersides an easy task.
Mustang XP 50 offers optimum comfort for the user. The setup of the footrest is slanted which makes it comfortable and idle even for tall people. The extended frames provide enough space for leg room and ensure the stability of the mower when operating on rough terrains.
The backseat is high at 18 inches and features premium padding with springs that have dual suspension that will ensure a comfortable mowing session. There is also a cup holder to accommodate drinks during a mowing session.
As the lap bars are adjustable, they can accommodate persons who have a large build with ease. The padded bars also provide necessary cushioning from the vibration of the mower. The fenders are big, so they protect the user from debris and dirt.
The Mustang XP 50 has an engine with 724cc and 23 HP Briggs & Stratton Pro Series which delivers enough power to mow around two acres in just an hour. Briggs & Stratton are reliable and highly respectable in the field of engine manufacturing because of their immense experience.
The 724cc engine also has an overhead valve feature which allows the ZTR to deliver maximum power with high torque. At the same time, this overhead valve utilizes fuel in an efficient manner.
This lawn mower also features a dual EZT hydrostatic transmission that enables it to deliver reliable and smooth operation.
The three-gallon fuel tank coupled with the functionality of the overhead valve ensures that there is sufficient oil and reduces the frequency of refueling.
As far as the cutting goes, the Mustang XP 50 features a hand-operated deck that has eight positioning options with adjustable cutting heights for customizing cuts as per the desired needs. The deck also has three blades that delivers fast cutting. With the electric PTO (Power Take Off), engaging the blade is faster and more relaxed which translates to efficient and effective cutting time.
This zero turn mower has four deck wheels coupled with a roller in the rear which increases cutting efficiency without scalping the lawn. This gives the lawn a manicured appearance.
- How it works on hills
The Mustang XP 50 handles itself really well on hilly areas. The cutting efficiency of the triple blades is not affected even on slopes. Because of this, Troy-Bilt specifies the Mustang XP 50 as a hilly terrain zero turn mower. In addition, this mower also comes with a 3” heavy-duty steel front axle to handle the rough terrain.
Ease of operation
The Mustang XP 50 could be at the top when it comes to operating as it is simple and easy to get accustomed to the machine. All the operating controls are on one side, the right side, which makes it convenient and quick to reach and operate. The placement of the electric PTO near the control panel makes it easy and fast to engage the blades. The PTO feature allows the engine to start and turn off instantly which adds convenience and ease in the operation of the mower.
The throttle merges with the choke, and there is also an LCD screen that displays the voltage and hours put on by the mower.
The integration of the parking brake into the lap bars by engaging the brakes on pulling apart the bars add convenience.
Like all other heavy-duty machines, zero turn mowers also need periodic maintenance. The important parts that ought to be taken care of are the oil, filter, belts, pulley wheels, and tire pressure. Before and after every mowing session, do a careful inspection of these parts along with others, if any. This will ensure the longevity of a zero turn mower.
For those who are interested in upgrading their ZTR into a more versatile and powerful workhorse, there is always a sweet deal available with Troy-Bilt. ‘FastAttach’ is a trademark line of accessories from Troy-Bilt where users can purchase accessories like the rear bumper, deck wash, bagger kit, mulch kit, tire chain, and other spare parts.
For the Mustang XP 50, Troy-Bilt offers the following accessories:
- Tire chain: Depending on the size of the tire, you can purchase these tire chains for your mower to provide extra traction in icy and snowy conditions. These chains come in a set of two.
- Bagger: With a bagger that is suitable for your Mustang XP 50, you can easily clean up the mess quicker and more efficiently, thereby saving you a lot of time and energy. Bagger is the ultimate grass collector. However, it is important to note that the bagger will clog up quickly while collecting damp grass. So, it is advisable that you avoid using the bagger while mowing on a wet lawn.
- Mulch kit: Mulching is essential for your lawn as it deposits nutrients and helps in fertilizing the lawn. For this, you can attach a mulching kit on the deck of the lawn mower to prevent the discharge of the clippings. The mulch kit will then cut the clippings into very fine pieces to allow these pieces to undergo quicker decomposition.
- Rear and front bumper kit: Operating a lawn mower requires frequent motional changes between reverse and forward direction. While operating the mower, there are occasions where objects may not appear in our line of sight or due to our negligence and carelessness we may skip a glance or two, or you may be operating the mower in a rough environment with obstacles. Any of these situations can result in the mower hitting any object or obstruction resulting in damage.
To prevent such instances causing damage to the mower, rear and front bumper kits become essential. These kits can also save you a fortune as they can avoid any collision that may cause damage to the engine of the lawn mower.
While buying accessories, however, make sure that the attachment is compatible with the mower.
Pros & Cons
- Given the power that this lawn mower delivers, the fuel consumption is very efficient.
- The pivoting axle in the front makes it very efficient to maneuver the Mustang XP 50.
- The front caster wheels of this zero turn mower are grease-able which can extend the life of the bearings.
- The full pressure lubrication system ensures a smooth operation as long as there is a sufficient amount of lube in the system.
- There is no armrest in the Mustang XP 50. So, this could cause some discomfort while operating the mower for a long session.
- Adjusting the deck height is not as smooth as one would expect.
The durability and consistency of this zero turn mower are gaugeable from this review article. You can also opt for purchasing this mower from online instead of buying it from the retail stores as online sites like Amazon offer more discounts. The review of the Troy-Bilt Mustang XP 50 should undoubtedly help you narrow down your choices. But, the Mustang XP 50 is definitely worth the investment for someone who is serious about taking proper lawn care.