Before investing in pieces of machinery which run to the tune of four figures, it is vital that you dig deep into the details of the product that you’re interested in. So, this review of the Poulan Pro P46ZX mower will help you to better understand the dynamics of this fantastic ZTR (zero turn radius mower).
| Comfortable seat|
10-year deck warranty
Popular among many houseowners
Reliable engine and deck design
The P46ZX forms part of Poulans’ Pro series of Z-turn mowers. This mower delivers professional cuts for residential lawns even though it is an entry level Z-turn lawn mower. Because of its impeccable features and performance, the P46ZX achieves a subtle distinction as one of the most talked about ZTR in the mower community.
For anyone who is looking for that perfect residential lawn mower, read this review further to find out why the Poulan Pro P46ZX is all you will ever need.
Design and Comfort
In its distinct goldenrod and black color scheme that is unique to Poulan Pro, the P46ZX is a handsome looking ZTR that is ready to chew down and manicure your lawn anytime. The design and the color combination is definitely an eye-catcher.
This Z-turn lawn mower has a dimension of 78 x 61.5 x 35.5 inches weight 750 pounds. Its weight is not a concern as it is lighter than most residential mowers.
- Build Quality
The reinforcement in the 46” cutting deck of the Poulan Pro P46ZX undoubtedly makes this mower long lasting and durable. The deck is also available with a ten years warranty which fortifies the depth of quality.
Any lawn that is over 2 acres will definitely need a comfortable Z-turn mower as the mowing session will go beyond one hour. This means there shouldn’t be any sacrifice of comfort at any cost.
For a mower with a 46” cutting deck, the Pro 46ZX offers enough comfort with added padding to support the spine and lower back. It has a 15” high back seat for extra comfort to the user.
The two levers also come with padding that provides sufficient grip and comfort, thereby enabling you to maneuver the mower without causing any unwanted strains to your body. The foam-padded levers also absorb the vibrations coming from the mower and reduce fatigue.
The Poulan Pro P46ZX features a 22hp Briggs & Stratton engine with a top speed of 6 miles per hour. Thus, the powerful engine enables this lawn mower to cut around two acres in only an hour. However, this mowing rate will depend on many variables like the weight of the rider, weather conditions as well as the terrain.
This lawn mower is ideal for residential lawns with size ranging from medium to large. Briggs engines are well known for their durability and the minimal effort required in maintaining the engine. The engine also makes less noise as compared to other mowers.
Though the P46ZX is only an entry-level Z-turn mower, its operational speed is one of the fastest in class, and the mower can breeze through any lawn under 3 acres.
There is also a relatively large fuel tank that can hold 3.5 gallons. The location of the tank is also in a strategic place which makes refueling convenient. The transparent fuel glass also indicates how much gas is left.
The cuts produced by Poulan Pro P46ZX are as clean as it can be. But make sure to keep the dual blades sharpened for optimum performance. The discharge of the grasses are from the side, and the mower spews the clippings far enough, which may please or displease users. You can also rake the lawn, if that is what you prefer, or purchase a mulching kit.
The 22hp motor also makes it easy to cut through stubborn growth. You can also adjust the height of the blades to get the grass length that you desire. The blades can undergo height adjustment between 1.5” and 4” at every half-an-inch totaling to six positions.
The anti-scalp rollers in this mower, which you can set in four positions, will also safely prevent scalping in most terrain conditions.
The cutting deck inducts air into the deck which allows for excellent quality in cutting, the performance of bagging, and dispersal of grass even in rough conditions.
- How it works on hills
If you’re planning to use this Z-turn mower on hills, this may not be a preferred option. Though the Pro P46ZX can perform on hills and slopes with a maximum of 10-degree angle elevation, the handling is not optimum which affects the performance of this mower on hills and inclines. This is because the engine is not as powerful to support the mower on steep hills which causes drifting. To get beautiful and even cuts with one pass can, therefore, be a tricky affair, though you can overcome that with additional runs.
Ease of operation
Though it takes a few amount of attempts to operate a mower, once you are able to manage the P46ZX, you will find that this is a fun and easy mower to handle. The zero-turn functionality of the P46ZX is excellent as it turns smoothly, so you don’t skip out on any section of the lawn. Even if there are trees on the lawn, maneuvering around them shouldn’t be a problem because of the twin motor wheels and the nice turning radius.
So as far as the maneuverability is concerned, the dual hydro transmission allows smooth and flawless operation of the mower. You can control each wheel independently by merely moving your arms to get access to the direction you desire.
The levers which control the rotation and wheel speed of the P46ZX become very simple to use after learning how to handle them. The intuitive control panel is also easily accessible without any obstruction, and you can get easy access to the blade switch, ignition switch, throttle, choke control, service meter, and the deck lift.
And finally, the addition of the electric clutch on this lawn mower adds to the ease in operating this mower.
The Poulan Pro 46ZX will require frequent checking of the components of the grass catcher, the discharge guard, and the parking brake. Regular cleaning of the deck and its underside is also a must for maintenance.
With the Poulan Pro P46ZX, the manufacturer offers attachments to upgrade the powerful lawn mower into a true super mower. The attachments that are available with this Z-turn lawn mower are:
- Mulching kit: Mulching, as we all know, can improve the condition of the lawn as it adds necessary nutrients. The mulching blades that Poulan Pro offer with this mower is durable, sharp, and lasts long. The blades significantly cut down the size of the clippings. However, there are situations where using a mulching kit can get messy when the grass is wet. So, the best thing to do is to avoid using the kit on damp grass.
- Bagging kit: Since the mulching kit can get messy at times, to help you deal with this situation with a mulching kit, the other next best option is the bagging kit. What this kit does is collect all the clippings into the bagger instead of letting it spew all over the lawn. This is a great way to save time, and it is also a clean way to mow.
- Armrest kit: Poulan Pro also offers an armrest kit that is compatible with the P46ZX mower. This kit will, as the name suggests, allow you to rest your arm since most mowers do not come with an armrest. Armrest becomes necessary when you’re on a long mowing session to provide additional position to relax while on the job. If you don’t get a P46ZX armrest, you can also use Husqvarna armrest kit since Husqvarna owns Poulan and they share compatible types of equipment. The armrest kit will please anyone who buys it.
- Headlight kit: Sometimes you may have to mow during dim conditions that may hamper your visibility. To cope with such situations, you can avail yourself the headlight kit to improve visibility and avert any obstruction or accident to yourself or anyone around. Since Husqvarna owns Poulan, they offer compatible headlight kits. Just make sure to check on the model.
Pros & Cons
- The Poulan Pro P46ZX is ideally one of the best ZTR for any residential lawn under three acres.
- The P46ZX will always deliver cuts that are even and will not compromise on the cut quality regardless of speed.
- Mowing on this Z-turn mower significantly reduce mowing time as it is fast.
- The turning ability of the Poulan Pro P46ZX is its stand out feature.
- The P46ZX has a weakness on steep hills.
- This mower is not built to do heavy-duty work.
The ultimate answer to whether the Poulan Pro P46ZX is the best mower in its class is subjective, and the answer may not be in this review article. However, this review of the Pro P46ZX should at least give you enough information on whether this is the ideal mower for you. For a residential mower with extra durability and reliability, this P46ZX mower fits all the requirements and should receive serious consideration.