The Husqvarna Z254F is a mid-grade zero turn mower and arguably one of the best in its class. This review of the Husqvarna Z254F will take you through all the vital information that you should know to make an informed purchase.
| Available in 3 versions: with Kohler engine, Kawasaki and Briggs&Stratton|
Top notch air filtration system
Powerful and reliable engines
Accessories are easy to find
Design and Comfort
The Husqvarna Z254F is a part of Husqvarna’s Z200 series of Z-turn mowers featuring cutting-edge and innovative design. The Z254F is the upgraded version of the earlier Z200 model, Z254. So, the Z254F shares a similar look with the Z254 sporting a formidable and attractive looking orange and grey color scheme.
- Build Quality
With Husqvarna, you can expect any of their lawn mowers to be solid with superior quality. This quality translates to the Z254F with rugged casters and tube steel frames that are robust and ensures optimum durability. The rugged casters and frames also minimize the flexing of the chassis.
The upgraded deck of the Z254F features a new rugged 54-inch trademark ClearCut fabricated deck component. This comes with a thick and sturdy 10 gauge steel construction with rolled edges which are further supplemented by reinforcement strips for ultimate durability. This makes the mower resistant to impacts.
The Z254F lawn mower also features cast iron blade housings with ball bearings for enhancing the durability.
Another excellent feature of the Z254F zero turn mower is the addition of rubber bellows. This feature gives the lawn mower a classy look, but more importantly, it protects the control system by preventing moisture and debris from entering the system.
The seat, which is one of the most important factors for comfort, in the Z254F mower has an ergonomic high-back with sufficient padding and soft outer vinyl covering. The high-back seat measures a good 18 inches in the Kohler engine and 15 inches in both the Kawasaki and Briggs & Stratton engine. The seat also features spring suspension, and you can slide the seat as well. All these features collectively provide excellent lumbar support that one needs while riding the mower, especially for longer mowing sessions.
The foot area is also resistant to slips because of generous incorporation of anti-slip surfaces. This eventually provides a safe, stable, and comfortable resting area for the foot.
- Engine Power
The Z254F mower comes in three engine variants – Kohler, Kawasaki, and Briggs & Stratton. The Kohler engine delivers 26 hp, but the Briggs & Stratton engine delivers 24hp while the Kawasaki engine delivers 23hp. All the engines churn up a maximum speed of 6.5 mph.
All the engines are also quiet to operate with asmooth output power. The smart-choke key for turning on the mower works under any temperature and provides reliable start-up.
The Z254F lawn mower also features a hydro-gear EZT hydrostatic transmission which allows for a powerful performance with a vast amount of torque. Husqvarna also ensures a zero-turn transmission that requires no maintenance with the Z254F mower, thereby delivering a worry-free performance.
With six cutting positions and three mower blades, the Husqvarna Z254F mower features a heavy-duty cutting deck that delivers maximum cutting performance. The innovative design of the ClearCut deck produces a clear and even cutting result across the entire width of the deck.
The Z254F Z-turn lawn mower also delivers excellent cutting performance even at higher mowing speed or through rougher and taller grass.
This zero turn mower comes with three anti-scalp wheels that prevent any scalping even on terrains which are not even.
- How it works on hills
Husqvarna recommends that the Z254F can operate on hills whose slope does not exceed a 10-degree angle. Operating lawn mowers on hills are a tricky affair, so you may want to carefully read the safety instructions before using the mower on slopes.
- Ease of operation
All the choke, ignition, and throttle on the Z254F mower are in one location which allows easy accessibility while operating the mower.
The new automatic parking brake system can activate or deactivate the engine by simply steering the levers inward or outward.
The incorporation of the spring deck lift system and its convenient location allows for easy use and accessibility of the deck lift.
Husqvarna makes available the following accessories to go with the Z254F mower –
- Mower cover: If you don’t have sufficient space to store the Z254f mower indoors conveniently, you can purchase the mower cover to protect your zero turn mower from unwanted dust and debris collection.
- Mulching Kit: The mulching kit can cut the grass into very fine pieces which in turn helps in adding nutrients to the lawn. Therefore, this kit can also supplement in maintaining your lawn.
- Bagger: If you want to cut down the amount of time you spend in maintaining your lawn, the bagger is an absolute must.
- Armrests: The armrest comes with the Kohler engine. However, you’ll have to purchase as an extra if you buy the Z254F with either the Kawasaki or Briggs & Stratton engine. Nevertheless, since the Z254F mower can mow large lawns, you’ll need an armrest to provide more comfort to your mowing session.
- LED Headlight: You can also purchase the LED headlights for better and greater visibility. The LED headlights are also much more efficient than the standard incandescent lights. With these headlights, coupled with the quietness of the Z254F mower, there shouldn’t be any difficulty mowing your lawn at dusk.
Pros & Cons
- The Z254F mower’s ClearCut deck cutting ability is excellent.
- The air filtration system in this mower’s engine is top-notch.
- The precise maneuvering from the hydraulic wheel-drive with no turning radius is also a great feature.
- Front and rear guards provide good protection to the engine from accidental impacts.
- This lawn mower also has cooling fans that are significantly huge which keeps the mower up and running in good condition.
- The Z254F sometimes struggle while cutting grass that are very thick.
This review of the Husqvarna Z254F zero turn mower would end by recommending this residential and semi-professional mower to anyone interested in maintaining large lawns. Convenience, maneuverability, efficiency, and durability are what this review article would assure you about the Z254F mower.