Amongst other machines, Husqvarna is also well known for their robust zero turn mowers it manufactures. Husqvarna mowers are durable and can easily last for years without breaking down, thereby making their zero turn mowers the most resilient.
| 2 engine models are available for this mower|
Easy to operate
Automatic parking brake to prevent fall down
Many additional kits
One of the leading Husqvarna residential mowers for homeowners is the Z242F model which we are covering in this review article. This zero turn mower is available in two engine variants – Kohler engine and Kawasaki engine. This mower is most suitable for small lawns.
The Z242F zero turn mower is a part of Husqvarna’s Z200 series of mowers. This Z200 series speaks volume of how Husqvarna has evolved as a manufacturer in developing zero turn mowers. As such, the Z242F excels in performance and durability. This review article will modestly attempt to convince you why the Z242F is the best zero turn mower for a small lawn.
Design and comfort
The Z242F mower features the classic and signature brilliant orange color tone of Husqvarna, which anyone accustomed with Husqvarna mowers can quickly identify from a distance.
The Z242F zero turn mower, like all Husqvarna mowers, is built to withstand the test of time. The durability is fortified by the tough and sturdy construction which you can easily feel when you operate the mower.
The common thread in the Z200 series mowers, including the Z242F mower, is the rugged casters and tube steel frames which guarantee the durability. The rugged features also help in reducing the risk of the chassis bending which occurs in most mowers with time; the rugged frames and casters will, however, mitigate this adverse effect.
The Z242F lawn mower also comes with both front and rear guard that adequately safeguards the nose and back of the mower from any impact, accidental or not.
The ‘F’ in the Z242F mower stands for fabricated deck specification in all the Z200 series mowers of Husqvarna. This new feature in the Z242F comes with a deck thickness of 10 gauge steel with extra reinforcement strips which makes this zero turn mower extremely sturdy.
At the bottom of the steering levers, Husqvarna uses rubber bellows for preventing moisture and other debris from infiltration the control system. The rubber bellows also add an aesthetic appeal to the overall look of the lawn mower.
The lawn mower also comes with one anti-scalp wheel and nose roller to prevent any scalping while operating the mower on rough or uneven terrain.
The cooling system in the Z242F mower is also very efficient and allows the mower to operate under optimal temperature for an extended duration. This means that this z-turn mower won’t have any problem functioning even during hot days.
The Husqvarna Z242F mower takes into account the comfort level very seriously.
The rubber isolators on the mower deliver a platform that isolates vibration by setting apart the user’s feet, body, and hands from the frame. This results in less fatigue while operating the mower.
The Z242F also comes with an anti-slip footrest area which features an ample amount of non-slip surfaces for comfort and safety. You will also find cup holders on the mower which are a must, especially for longer mowing sessions.
The seats have an ergonomic design to provide comprehensive support to the back. The height of the seat back is high but differs depending on the engine. The Z242F with the Kohler engine has a seat back whose height measures 18 inches, while the Kawasaki engine has a seat back height of 15 inches. Both the seats feature comfortable padding with an outer vinyl cover. For that extra support on rough terrain, the seats also feature spring suspension support.
Despite the same cutting deck size of 42 inches in the Z242F mower, Husqvarna offers this Z-turn mower with two engine variants as already stated above. However, there is no price difference of the mower regardless of the engine as the variant is only to give more options to customers depending on their preference for engine type.
The Kohler engine features the Confidant or ZT series which is the second best engine model of Kohler. It is also suitable for commercial purposes. Therefore, the Z242F with a 23hp ZT Kohler engine packs a punch for a small residential lawn mower.
The Kawasaki engines, in general, are the most popular and enjoy a high reputation. The Kawasaki engine in this Z242F mower is the FR series which is the top end residential engines that Kawasaki offers. It is a great engine which is at par with Kawasaki’s commercial FS series. Therefore, even at 21.5 hp, this engine will perform like it has got more horsepower.
If you, however, can’t make up your mind on which engine to go for, we’d humbly suggest that you choose the Kohler engine simply because of their quality and service.
Also, both engines feature full pressure lubrication with oil filter and pump for quiet and powerful performance. The engines also come with rapid air filtration system, cooler cylinder heads, better crank support, and powerful starting system which all work together to provide long life to the engine in Z242F lawn mower.
Husqvarna also boldly offers a maintenance free hydrostatic transmission on its Z242F mower for a long hassle free operation. The hydrostatic transmission gives complete control to the user to mow any lawn effortlessly.
The Z242F mower sports a new trademark technology of Husqvarna which they refer to as ClearCut deck technology. This ClearCut technology combines a number of features like efficient performing blades (two in number), baffles for checking airflow, top discharge, and broad deck design to deliver exceptional cutting performance regardless of whether you want to discharge, mulch or bag.
Even at maximum speed, the Z242F mower will produce clean and even cuts every time, thereby ensuring that you need not revisit the same spot twice. Depending on your preference, you can always purchase a mulching kit, but Husqvarna assures you that even if you don’t buy the kit, the quality of cuts with the Z242F is such that you can do away with collecting the discharge!
The ClearCut deck technology is one of the best innovative and cutting edge designs in the Z242F lawnmower as it can clock a promising mowing time of 2.2 acres per hour.
- How it works on hills
You can operate the Z242F mower on hills whose incline angle is up to 10 degree. Beyond that, you may want to exercise abundant precaution as these residential mowers are not ideally functional on steep hills.
Ease of operation
Though the Z242F mower may require some attempts for efficient handling, it is easy to learn.
The first impression concerning the ease of operating the Z242F mower is the steering system. The separate, hydraulic wheel drive allows for maneuvering the mower precisely, and you can easily rotate the mower about its axis even in the absence of the turning radius. This means that you don’t need to go back and forth with the mower to cover up any missing patch.
With the automatic braking system, the Z242F mower will start or stop as you move the steering lever inward or outward eventually saving you a lot of time.
The control system in the Z242F zero turn mower also features ergonomic placement which you can easily access as all the ignition, throttle, and choke are in a single location.
The spring assisted deck lift system located on the left console for easier accessibility adds another punch to the effortless operation of the Z242F zero turn mower.
Husqvarna Z242F mower is easy to maintain because of the crafty designs.
The washout port of the deck is convenient to clean. All you need to is connect the hose and let the water run through by starting the engine.
The footplate is also removable which allows ease of access to the top of the cutting deck. Once you are there, you can easily clean the spindles, pulleys, and deck belts.
Maintaining your zero turn mower is an essential aspect of ensuring the longevity of the mower. So, it is also advisable that you read the maintenance manual after purchase and keep up with the instructions provided therein.
To increase the functionality of the Z242F mower, you can attach the accessories below –
- Bagger: Husqvarna offers a double bagger with a capacity of 6 bushels (two bins). The bagger is durable and efficiently serves its purpose. There is an indicator to show when the bag reaches its capacity limit. The innovative design of the bagger improves airflow at the top which allows the bagger to make full use of the capacity. The bagger is easy to fix onto the mower as you can glide it to put it in place without using any tools. Built-in handles and straps make it easy to dispose of the clippings.
- Mulch kit: The mulching is another great accessory which makes mowing fun and keeps your lawn healthy. The mulch kit essentially cuts the clippings into very fine pieces which also add valuable organic matter to the lawn. The mulching kit also reduces the time it takes to collect the clippings for disposal.
- Armrest: The armrest makes a big difference to your mowing experience. Not only does it ease the arms, but it can also add extra stability and steadiness for controlling the mower. The armrest also assists in steering the levers allowing you to operate the mower seamlessly around objects. It is easy to install and fits very well. The armrest can also give support while getting on and off the mower. Apart from the above, the armrest ensures that you experience comfortable mowing.
- LED Headlight: If you do not have time to mow during the day time, you can surely make use of the LED headlights to mow during the evening. These LED lights are powerful and easy to install. Under any kind of dark conditions, these LED headlights will considerably help in improving your visibility.
- Hitch kit: This is another durable kit to tow a dump cart which is compatible with all Husqvarna Z200 series models.
- Mower cover: This mower cover provides absolute protection from moisture and sun. It is water resistant with reinforced vents.
- Dump cart: The dump cart which Husqvarna provides for Z242F mower can town a weight of 350 lbs. It has a powder coat finish and features durable steel construction. The dumping mechanism is easy with the help of a single lever.
Pros & Cons
- The key start system of the Z242F makes it easy to operate.
- The two cylinder engine of the Z242F mower makes it powerful for small residential lawns.
- The 3.5-gallon fuel capacity is also a bonus in the Z242F mower since other mowers in this class mostly have a maximum limit of 2.5 to 3 gallons.
- The powerful engine of the Z242F mower means it can easily handle thick or rough grass and hills while most other mowers of this class will show inefficiency.
- The automatic parking brake system by Husqvarna is an innovation much ahead of its competitors.
- A technical flaw in the Z242F mower may be the emission aspect.
For ease of operation, effectiveness, and maneuverability in a homeowner Z-turn mower, the Husqvarna Z242F mower truly delivers. The rugged tube steel frame, heavy-duty wide front casters, integrated transmission free from maintenance, and the twin-engine in Z242F are all true signs of high performance in a mower. These signs are also highlighted in this review article to show how promising the Z242F mower really is.
This review also points out other great features like an adjustable seat for maximum comfort, steering levers with foam padding, convenient placement of the control system, and the various cutting deck options with high performance which reflects the ease of operation of the Z242F mower.
The best part about the Z242F mower is that it is really fun and enjoyable to operate. Your mowing session will whiz by without you realizing. The Husqvarna Z242F zero turn mower is undoubtedly the best residential lawn mower for small lawns.