Investing in zero turn mowers is not a small thing, and if you have got yourself this extremely capable lawn mower, then you need to be able to maintain it properly. Zero turn mowers are competent machines, and they have made lawn maintenance much easier owing to their innovative design, superb features and also for offering great value for money.
However, many owners tend to forget that these mowers also need proper care and maintenance to ensure that it is always working at its best. Instead, we find that they store away their zero turn mowers after using them and forget about it. However, if you wish to prolong the life of your zero turn mower and at the same time keep it functioning at its best at all time, then you need to make sure that you take perform regular maintenance and take proper care of it at all times.
Therefore, if you are someone who is looking for the best tips for zero turn mower maintenance, then you are in the right place. Here, we will highlight to you the importance of maintaining zero turn mowers and offer you valuable tips on how to maintain zero turn mowers.
The Importance of Maintaining Zero Turn Mowers
Zero turn mowers is a piece of mechanical equipment and as such is composed of moving parts and other components, which work together to ensure that it functions appropriately while operating it. However, like any machines it is susceptible to wear and tear after regular use and as such requires some maintenance to ensure that it is working properly. Thus zero turn mowers also comes with its own set of maintenance requirements too. However, before we discuss the maintenance tips lets us first see the importance of maintaining zero turn mowers.
- Longevity: The first reason why you should maintain your zero turn mower is so that you can increase its durability or life span. Just as a car requires engine maintenance to keep it running for longer periods, zero turn mowers also requires regular maintenance. Upon performing regular maintenance, you will find that the mower will last much longer, than those mowers which do not get regular maintenance.
- Quality: With regular usage, the parts of the mower will eventually wear out or lose its effectiveness, and thus its quality of service diminishes. However, when you perform regular maintenance, you will be able to find out which parts need changing or maintenance. As such, you will be able to make all the necessary changes and repairs which will ensure that your mower remains reliable, while also performing at its peak at all times. This means that you will have a machine which will deliver consistent results at all times.
- Cost effective: If you perform regular maintenance on your zero turn lawn mower, you will effectively be able to save a good amount of money over time. Performing routine maintenance will ensure that no irregular problems or sudden failures crop out in your mower. We see that due to improper maintenance many mowers suffer major issue which cost a huge sum of money. As such if you wish to keep yourself from spending additional money then performing regular maintenance is the way to go.
The points mentioned above highlight the importance of performing regular maintenance on your lawn mower. As such, if you are performing regular maintenance, it will go a long way in ensuring that your zero turn mower remains functioning at its best at all times.
8 Maintenance Tips for Your Zero Turn Mower
We are now aware of the importance of zero turn mower maintenance and how regular maintenance plays an important part. As such we will now discuss how you can maintain your zero turn mower. We have collected a wide range of tips surrounding zero turn mower maintenance, and they are discussed below.
- Read the User Guide/Manual: The first tip for zero tower maintenance is reading the user guide/manual that comes with it during purchase. This may seem like a piece of basic advice however it is the best. This is because the manual contains all the basic dos and don’ts and other necessary information which the manufacturer wants you to know. It provides the solution to many common problems, and also many issues can be avoided by following the user guide.
- Check its Air filter: The Air filter is one of the most overlooked components of the zero turn mower. Many users fail to understand the importance of its role, and this greatly affects the overall performance of the mower. If an air filter gets dirty or damaged, the engine fails to burn the gas efficiently, and this directly impacts the performance of the engine. As such it is important to check the airs filter twice or thrice in the mowing season and then clean or replace it accordingly. Air filters are also relatively inexpensive to replace, and it can be done by the owner as well.
- Check its engine oil: Since zero turn mowers are powered by engines which run on fuel and oil, it is necessary to check the engine oil at regular intervals. Experts suggest checking the oil after eight to fifteen hours of use. The oil can be checked with the help of the dipstick which indicates the level as well as the state of the oil. If the oil is golden or yellowish, it shows a healthy state; however, if it is dark or black, this means you need to change the oil. While changing the oil of your mower see to it that you refer the user manual, as the process differs from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Monitor the tire pressure: The tire pressure of a zero lawn mower also plays an important role in the way the grass is cut. If your mower happens to be cutting grass unevenly than you need to check the tire pressure of your mower. If the tire pressures happen to be uneven, then the mower will start cutting unevenly. As such it is advised to monitor the tire pressure regularly to ensure that your mower cuts grass evenly.
- Clean the deck: The deck of zero turn mowers is one of its busiest parts, and this is where most of the action takes place. The deck of the mower as such collects a copious amount of debris which includes grass clippings, mud, weeds, etc. When the debris accumulates, they tend to retain moisture which in turn will cause corrosion in the long run. As such it is important to clean the deck after each use. The debris also has other harmful impacts on the mower wherein it can get clogged in different parts of the mower thus decreasing its overall performance. As such, a clean deck will ensure the overall smooth performance of the mower.
- Sharpen the blades of the mower: The blades of a mower can be regarded as one of its most important components. It is the blade which enables the mower to cut the glass thus allowing you to achieve the desired shape while mowing. However, just as with any blade, the blade of a mower also becomes blunt with use and thus loses its ability to cut effectively through the grass. As such a blunt blade will not cut the grass but only tear it, thus leaving your lawn in a mess. Therefore, it is necessary to sharpen the blades of your mower twice or thrice a year to ensure that you get the desired cut while mowing. If you do not know how to sharpen the blades of your mower, then you can get it sharpened from a mower repairing shop.
- Replace the spark plug annually: The spark plug is an inexpensive and small component of zero turn mowers; however; it plays a crucial role as it is responsible for starting the mower. If your mower tends to start a little slowly or is having difficulty during starts, then you might have a faulty spark plug. Replacing a spark plug is a relatively easy process, and you can do it by referring to the user manual or by taking the help of a trained professional. It is best to replace your spark plugs every year to ensure that your mower is running smoothly at all times.
- Store it in a proper place: Another common mistake seen with mower owners is that they do not store their mower properly after use. We find that many people leave their zero turn mowers out in the open after use and this very act can cause extensive damage to your mower. Leaving a mower outdoors will expose it to the elements mostly water. When water accumulates in the mower, it will eventually cause corrosion and lead to more advanced damages. As such it is best to store your zero turn mower in a dry place free from moisture such as a trailer, garages, or a barn.
These are some of the maintenance tips which you should follow to ensure that you get the best out of your zero turn mower. The maintenance tips mentioned above are all simple and easy to follow, and abiding with them will go a long way in ensuring that your zero turn mower enjoys a long life span and can function at its best for during its lifetime.
Writer, designer and Husqvarna MZ61 owner. Expert on zero turn mowers.